Thank you
I need to say thank you to a kind woman who was at our Kroger today. I am positive she will never read this blog but I figure this is the best way I have to say thank you.
It all started when we left Kroger today and as we were walking out to the van I freaked out because the side door was open. Please tell me someone else out there has done this??? (I blame it on the fact that my allergies have taken over my brain.) Reagan was so worried someone had stolen her headband but I quickly made sure no one was waiting for us in there and then saw my mp3 player and felt sure her headband was safe. We head home with the groceries and Reagan realizes she left her "Kindergarten Memories" booklet that she made at school today in the van. So she ran back out to get it and in about 10 seconds I hear loud cries, "MOMMY, I can't find it!!!!!!" I went out to look and then realized what had probably happened - it had blown out of the van because the door was open. I didn't tell her that because I didn't want to hear about how it was all my fault - but I felt terrible. I told Reagan she could make another one but that didn't help at all - she had worked hard on that one and it meant everything to her in that moment. So I run in the house put all the groceries away as fast as I can and we all pile back in the van to head back up to Kroger to look for the booklet. (Just to set more of the background for you: Elliott is in one of the worst moods EVER. Not a pretty scene between the two of them - Reagan sobbing and Elliott uber grumpy. And then there is me who is sneezing every other minute, has ear, face, nose, and head aches, and eyes pouring water.) I know heading to Kroger is ridiculous and that there is no way we will find this booklet but I had to try. Reagan's crying has calmed down but she is still really upset. I pray out loud "Dear God, please help us find Reagan's booklet." Inside I am praying "God - this would be a really cool teaching moment - please help us find that book!!!" And at the same time I am thinking how I am going to explain to her why God didn't help us find it and kind of wishing I hadn't prayed out loud. We drive up and down each aisle about 3 times and still no sign of her "Kindergarten Memories." So I park the van and we all hop out and scour it again.
Nothing.
I want her to know I tried my best to find it so we go up in front of the store to see if it blew into the plants or furniture.
No booklet.
The last resort is to ask the service desk thinking maybe (inside thinking there is NO way) someone found it and turned it in. As we walk in I prepare Reagan by telling her that this is our last hope and if they don't have it I will ask her teacher to let her make another one. She is not thrilled but seems to be ok and has calmed down quite a bit. So we walk in and wait as the lady behind the counter helps someone else. The lady who bagged our groceries earlier notices us and wonders why we are back and I say "Well, we lost something in the parking lot and we were hoping someone turned it in." As I say that the service desk woman's face lights up and she says "I bet we have it!" and she holds up Reagan's Kindergarten Memories booklet! She told us how a woman brought it in and that they both had teared up at the thought of that precious booklet getting lost. I thanked her over and over and she said she was a mom and understood how important that was. Reagan looked up and said "thank you" with a voice that I knew was about to turn to tears. As we walked away and into the cart area she lost it. I knelt down and hugged her as we both sobbed. We were both overwhelmed with emotion. Her tears were of relief that her precious creation was found. She just looked at me and said "I thought it was gone forever!" I will never forget that little tear stained face. My tears were more about knowing her pain - knowing just how she felt - knowing how many more times she will feel that fear - and knowing I can't always fix it.
Did God care about her booklet? I am not sure but I know He cares about her heart and I am grateful we found that book and her broken heart was restored. So, thank you whoever you are for taking the time to bring my daughter's precious Kindergarten Memories booklet to the Kroger service desk. Because of you my little girl's faith was increased and her hope was not lost. I just pray for wisdom for the times when things in her life don't end "happily ever after" because I know there will be many of those days.
It all started when we left Kroger today and as we were walking out to the van I freaked out because the side door was open. Please tell me someone else out there has done this??? (I blame it on the fact that my allergies have taken over my brain.) Reagan was so worried someone had stolen her headband but I quickly made sure no one was waiting for us in there and then saw my mp3 player and felt sure her headband was safe. We head home with the groceries and Reagan realizes she left her "Kindergarten Memories" booklet that she made at school today in the van. So she ran back out to get it and in about 10 seconds I hear loud cries, "MOMMY, I can't find it!!!!!!" I went out to look and then realized what had probably happened - it had blown out of the van because the door was open. I didn't tell her that because I didn't want to hear about how it was all my fault - but I felt terrible. I told Reagan she could make another one but that didn't help at all - she had worked hard on that one and it meant everything to her in that moment. So I run in the house put all the groceries away as fast as I can and we all pile back in the van to head back up to Kroger to look for the booklet. (Just to set more of the background for you: Elliott is in one of the worst moods EVER. Not a pretty scene between the two of them - Reagan sobbing and Elliott uber grumpy. And then there is me who is sneezing every other minute, has ear, face, nose, and head aches, and eyes pouring water.) I know heading to Kroger is ridiculous and that there is no way we will find this booklet but I had to try. Reagan's crying has calmed down but she is still really upset. I pray out loud "Dear God, please help us find Reagan's booklet." Inside I am praying "God - this would be a really cool teaching moment - please help us find that book!!!" And at the same time I am thinking how I am going to explain to her why God didn't help us find it and kind of wishing I hadn't prayed out loud. We drive up and down each aisle about 3 times and still no sign of her "Kindergarten Memories." So I park the van and we all hop out and scour it again.
Nothing.
I want her to know I tried my best to find it so we go up in front of the store to see if it blew into the plants or furniture.
No booklet.
The last resort is to ask the service desk thinking maybe (inside thinking there is NO way) someone found it and turned it in. As we walk in I prepare Reagan by telling her that this is our last hope and if they don't have it I will ask her teacher to let her make another one. She is not thrilled but seems to be ok and has calmed down quite a bit. So we walk in and wait as the lady behind the counter helps someone else. The lady who bagged our groceries earlier notices us and wonders why we are back and I say "Well, we lost something in the parking lot and we were hoping someone turned it in." As I say that the service desk woman's face lights up and she says "I bet we have it!" and she holds up Reagan's Kindergarten Memories booklet! She told us how a woman brought it in and that they both had teared up at the thought of that precious booklet getting lost. I thanked her over and over and she said she was a mom and understood how important that was. Reagan looked up and said "thank you" with a voice that I knew was about to turn to tears. As we walked away and into the cart area she lost it. I knelt down and hugged her as we both sobbed. We were both overwhelmed with emotion. Her tears were of relief that her precious creation was found. She just looked at me and said "I thought it was gone forever!" I will never forget that little tear stained face. My tears were more about knowing her pain - knowing just how she felt - knowing how many more times she will feel that fear - and knowing I can't always fix it.
Did God care about her booklet? I am not sure but I know He cares about her heart and I am grateful we found that book and her broken heart was restored. So, thank you whoever you are for taking the time to bring my daughter's precious Kindergarten Memories booklet to the Kroger service desk. Because of you my little girl's faith was increased and her hope was not lost. I just pray for wisdom for the times when things in her life don't end "happily ever after" because I know there will be many of those days.

3 Comments:
Hey Kori,
I saw you at school today and your hard work is paying off, you look great.
Unfortunately KidStuff is on summer break but will kick back up in August. I would love for you all to visit. Our adult services are at 9 and 11 with KidStuff in between at 10:10.
If you all do decide to visit email me and I'll meet you there.
Have a great afternoon.
This post made me think of how easily I could have seen that little booklet in the parking lot and left it there, thinking it wasn't important. But there's a whole story connected to that little booklet, and I need to remember that. Thanks for being a beautiful mother and wife!
Awesome blog!
I loved this story. I have had a few similar experiences with similar reactions (picture me crying in Goodwill). Anyway, I can relate to that feeling of wanting to instill big faith in our girls, while wondering if we even have it ourselves.
Thanks for your honesty!
Post a Comment
<< Home